Please read the following information about privacy practices on The Detroit News' website, mobiles sites and apps (the "Site").
- information that is generated automatically as users navigate online through the Site;
- information that you electronically submit when you contact us with questions or participate in contests, surveys or sweepstakes;
- information that you post on blogs, discussion forums or other community posting and social networking areas accessed through our Site;
- information and content you provide when you upload a photograph, video or audio file;
- information that you electronically submit when you complete an online registration form to access and use certain features of our Site;
- information that you provide within an advertisement on one of our Site;
- information contained in search requests that you submit through our Site.
Unless you inform us otherwise, detroitnews.com reserves the right to use, and to disclose to third parties, information collected from you while you are using the Site (e.g., your name and e-mail address) for a variety of reasons and purposes, such as providing users with information about products and services.
If you do not wish to be included in such uses, you must send an e-mail or a letter to us requesting to be taken off any lists of information that may be used for these purposes or that may be given or sold to third party vendors. In addition, please keep in mind that whenever you voluntarily disclose personal information online, for example on story comments, through e-mail, or in chat areas, that information can be collected and used by others besides detroitnews.com. Detroitnews.com cannot be responsible for any unauthorized third party use of information that you disclose online.
In addition, please keep in mind that whenever you voluntarily disclose personal information online, that information can be collected and used by others besides detroitnews.com. Detroitnews.com cannot be responsible for any unauthorized third party use of information that you disclose online.
Be aware that we may occasionally release information about our visitors. Such situations could include but are not limited to compliance with law, response to subpoena, support of news reporting or editorial activities, enforcement of our Terms of Service agreement or protection of the rights, property or safety of users of our services, the public or The Detroit News or detroitnews.com.
Please also note that as our business changes, we may buy or sell various assets. In the unlikely event that we, some or all of our assets, or one or more of our websites is acquired by another company, information on our users may be among the transferred assets.
Children's privacy statement
This Children’s Privacy Statement explains our practices with respect to the online collection and use of personal information from children under the age of 13, and provides important information on your rights under federal law with respect to such information.
- We do not knowingly collect personally identifiable information from children under the age of 13 as part of theSite. We screen users who wish to provide personal information to prevent users under the age of 13 from providing such information. If we become aware that we have inadvertently received personally identifiable information from a user under the age of 13 as part of the Service, we will delete such information from our records. If we change our practices in the future, we will obtain prior, verifiable parental consent before collecting any personally identifiable information from children under the age of 13 as part of the Service.
- Because we do not collect any personally identifiable information from children under the age of 13 as part of the Service, we also do not knowingly distribute such information to third parties.
- We do not knowingly allow children under the age of 13 to publicly post or otherwise distribute personally identifiable contact information through the Service.
- Because we do not collect any personally identifiable information from children under the age of 13 as part of the Service, we do not condition the participation in the Service’s online activities of a child under 13 on providing personally identifiable information.
License to detroitnews.com
By posting messages, uploading files or otherwise providing any material for display on the Site, you are representing that you are the owner of the material or are making your submission with the express consent of the owner of the material. In addition, when you post a message, upload a file or otherwise provide us with material for display on the Site, you are granting detroitnews.com a royalty-free, perpetual, non-exclusive, unrestricted, worldwide license to:
1. Use, copy, sublicense, adapt, transmit, publicly perform or display any such communication on any publishing platform.
2. Sublicense to third parties the unrestricted right to exercise any of the foregoing rights granted with respect to the communication.
The foregoing grants shall include the right to exploit any proprietary rights in such communication, including but not limited to rights under copyright, trademark, service mark or patent laws under any relevant jurisdiction.
This Site includes links to Internet sites, content and services provided by third parties. Detroitnews.com’s linking to any third party sites does not imply an endorsement or sponsorship of such sites, or the information, products or services offered on or through the Site. In addition, neither detroitnews.com, its parent or subsidiary companies nor their affiliates operate or control in any respect any information, products or services that third parties may provide on or through the Site or on Web sites linked to by detroitnews.com. The materials, information, products and services offered on or through the Site and any third-party sites are provided “as is” and without warranties of any kind either expressed or implied.
To the fullest extent permissible pursuant to applicable law, detroitnews.com disclaims all warranties, expressed or implied, including, but not limited to, implied warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose. Detroitnews.com does not warrant that the Site or any of its functions will be uninterrupted or error-free, that defects will be corrected or that any part of this Site, or the servers that make it available, are free of viruses or other harmful components.
The Site is provided for informational purposes only, and is not intended for trading or investing purposes, or for commercial use. The Site should not be used in any high risk activities where damage or injury to persons, property, environment, finances or business may result if an error occurs. You expressly assume all risk for such use.
We also may use third-party service providers to target and serve some of the advertisements you see on the pages of our Site. We may share non-personally identifiable information, such as type of pages viewed and categories of interest, from our Site with these service providers for their use in displaying ads on our Site. These providers may use their own cookies, web beacons and similar technologies to collect non-personally identifiable information from our Site. These service providers may use that information, sometimes in conjunction with similar non-personally identifiable information gathered through other websites, to deliver advertisements on this Site, and on other websites that participate in our service providers’ advertising networks, that are tailored to match the perceived interests of consumers. The non-personally identifiable information obtained by our third-party service providers also may be used to help measure and research an advertisement’s effectiveness, or for other purposes.
The data collected in connection with the ad serving and ad targeting on our Site does not identify you personally and does not include your name, address, email address or telephone number, but it may include the IP address of your computer.
How we use information
We may use the information we collect from you while you are using the Site for any purpose related to the Site and in a variety of other ways, including, for example:
- for the purpose for which the information was submitted;
- to process your registration requests;
- to provide you with services and communications that you have requested;
- to send you email updates and other communications, promotional messages and advertisements that we believe may be of interest to you;
- to customize features and advertising that appear through the Site;
- to deliver our Site’s content to you;
- to contact you for customer service purposes;
- to send you administrative notices or notices regarding important changes or additions to our Site;
- to measure Site traffic;
- to measure and analyze user interests, behavior, trends and traffic patterns;
- to protect the rights of the Site and others or to comply with applicable law;
- to improve the features offered via the Site.
We may use location information, either information you provided by you or information automatically collected, in order to provide you with location-based content, interest-based content services and advertising. We also may combine information we collect from you while you are using our Services with information that we collect from other sources, including other websites or apps, to customize features, content and advertising that appear through our Services.
In addition, detroitnews.com may allow you to purchase many different types of products and services online that are provided by third parties. Detroitnews.com is not responsible for the quality, accuracy, timeliness, reliability or any other aspect of these products and services. If you make a purchase from a merchant on the detroitnews.com or on a site linked to by detroitnews.com, the information obtained during your visit to that merchant’s online store or site, and the information that you give as part of the transaction, such as your credit card number and contact information, is collected by the merchant. A merchant may have separate privacy and data collection practices. Detroitnews.com has no responsibility or liability for these independent policies.
For more information regarding a merchant, its online store and its privacy policies, return to that merchant's home page and click on its information links or contact the merchant Web site directly. You release detroitnews.com and its affiliates from any damages that you incur, and agree not to assert any claims against them, arising from your purchase or use of any products or services made available by third parties through detroitnews.com.
When you purchase products or services on or through the detroitnews.com, you may be subject to additional terms and conditions that specifically apply to your purchase or use of such products or services. If you have any questions about these additional terms and conditions, you should contact the merchant of such products or services directly.
You agree to be financially responsible for all purchases made by you or someone acting on your behalf through the Site. You agree to use the Site and to purchase services or products through the Site for legitimate, non-commercial purposes only. You also agree not to make any purchases for speculative, false or fraudulent purposes or for the purpose of anticipating demand for a particular product or service. You agree to only purchase goods or services for yourself or for another person for whom you are legally permitted to do so. When making a purchase for a third party that requires you to submit the third party’s personal information to detroitnews.com or a merchant, you represent that you have obtained the express consent of such third party to provide such third party’s personal information.
Use of company directories
The information contained in any company directories that may be provided on the Site is provided for business lookup purposes and is not to be used for marketing or telemarketing applications. This information may not be copied or redistributed and is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind. In no event will detroitnews.com or its suppliers be liable in any way with regard to such information.
This Site may include a variety of features, such as comment boards, chat rooms and e-mail services, that allow feedback to detroitnews.com and real-time interaction between users and other features, such as personalized homes pages and e-mail services, that allow users to communicate with others. Responsibility for what is posted lies with each user – you alone are responsible for the material you post. Detroitnews.com does not control the messages, information or files that others may provide through the Site.
It is a condition of your use of the Site that you do not:
- restrict or inhibit any other user from using and enjoying the Site;
- use the Site to post or transmit any unlawful, threatening, abusive, libelous, defamatory, obscene, vulgar, pornographic, profane or indecent information of any kind, including without limitation any transmissions constituting or encouraging conduct that would constitute a criminal offense, give rise to civil liability or otherwise violate any local, state, national or international law;
- use the Site to post or transmit any information, software or other material that violates or infringes upon the rights of others, including material that is an invasion of privacy or publicity rights or that is protected by copyright, trademark or other proprietary right, or derivative works with respect thereto, without first obtaining permission from the owner or right holder;
- use the Site to post or transmit any information, software or other material that contains a virus or other harmful component;
- use the Site to post, transmit or in any way exploit any information, software or other material for commercial purposes or that contains advertising;
- use the Site to advertise or solicit to anyone to buy or sell products or services or to make donations of any kind without the express written approval of detroitnews.com
- gather for the purpose of spamming e-mail addresses that have been posted by other users of the Site.
You understand that detroitnews.com has no obligation to monitor any comments, chat rooms, forums or other areas of the Site through which users can supply information or material. However, detroitnews.com reserves the right at all times to disclose any information as necessary to satisfy any law, regulation or governmental request or to refuse to post or to remove any information or materials, in whole or in part, that in detroitnews.com’s sole discretion are objectionable or in violation of these Terms of Service.
Terms of Service updated May 17, 2018.